Monday, February 14, 2022

Meet the 2022 ILR Engaged-Learning Students!

 Audrey A, ILR'24


Hello! My name is Audrey A. and I am a sophomore in the ILR school. I am currently pursuing minors in Feminist, Gender, & Sexuality Studies and Law & Society. I have a strong interest in public policy, politics, and law, especially concerning the topic of international immigration and migration. On campus, I am a member of the Advocacy Project, a student-led organization that aims to teach people the invaluable skill of public speaking. Additionally, I am a contributor for the Arts & Culture section of the Cornell Daily Sun! 

I am very excited for the opportunity to participate in the Vietnam Engaged Learning Program this year! I hope to research the broader impact of migration from rural areas to urban cities on the conditions of the workplace in major cities such as Ho Chi Minh City. Additionally, I am interested in learning about both union organized strikes and wildcat strikes and the respective impact of both in creating tangible change for workers. I look forward to working with students from Ton Duc Thang University and pursing my academic interests through this program! 

Cameron H. ILR'25

Cameron H. is a first-year student at Cornell University, where he is studying Industrial & Labor Relations. He was raised in eastern Pennsylvania. On campus, Cameron is a member of the university’s Student Government Association, the Rotary Club, the Scheinman Institute for Conflict Resolution, and is presently searching to join a finance-related organization. He also volunteers with several non-profit groups, including as an advisory board member for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and as a debate judge for the National Speech & Debate Association. Cameron is interested in pursuing a career in the financial services field upon his graduation from college.
Cameron is pleased to be involved in the ILR Vietnam Engaged Learning Program, where he anticipates gaining knowledge of the labor relations field, especially in Vietnam, through Ton Duc Thang University.

Sara J. ILR'24

Sara is a sophomore in ILR pursuing minors in Law & Society and Urban & Regional Studies from Seattle, WA. She is excited to take part in the ILR Vietnam Engaged Learning Program with TDTU because of her interests in comparative labor studies and labor law and she looks forward to collaborating with the TDTU students. On campus, she is a managing editor for the Undergraduate Labor Institute, a member of Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity, and a member of Cornell University Sustainable Design working on the Ithaca Carbon Neutral 2030 Policy sub-team. In her free time, she enjoys being in the outdoors, hanging out with friends, cooking, watching comedy and documentaries, and rooting for the Seattle Mariners.

Jiwook J. ILR'25

My name is Jiwook J., and I am a freshman at Cornell University–Industrial and Labor Relations School. I lived in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam; Managua, Nicaragua; Princeton, New Jersey; and Seoul, South Korea. I am involved with the Cornell Daily Sun (the school’s newspaper), Kappa Sigma Fraternity and Cornell Outdoor Education. I am excited to learn more about Vietnam’s role in global supply chains and how it intersects with labor. I am excited to get to know the students at Ton Duc Thang University, and I am ready to learn and grow with my cohort at TDTU.

Emily M. ILR'24

Hello. My name is Emily M.. I am a sophomore transfer in Cornell's School of Industrial and Labor Relations. I am from a smaller town in Northern California called Redding, though I was born in New Zealand. I am involved in Cornell's collegiate Mock Trial program, Christian Union Vita, and I am employed at the Statler Hotel in the Meetings and Events department. In my spare time, I enjoy reading, playing board games with my family, baking, and poetry.
I look forward to the Engaged Learning Program in Vietnam for two reasons: the people and the research. I am eager to engage with people with whom I have had no interaction before and learn about a culture with which I have no experience. I also anticipate researching the international dynamic within Vietnam's labor system; getting to research my own interests with the support of the Scheinman Institute is an opportunity I will not pass up.

Kathleen M. ILR'24


My name is Kathleen and I am a sophomore in the ILR School! On campus, I work at the Office of Engagement Initiatives and mentor job-seeking individuals with disabilities. I am pursuing a minor in Inequality Studies, so I look forward to exploring labor practices and collective bargaining in Vietnam through a social impact lens. I am excited to learn about labor relations on a global scale and learn from my Vietnamese peers.

Simon R. ILR'24

Hi all! My name is Simon R. and I’m a sophomore in ILR. I am originally from Paris, France but moved to New York City when I was 8 years old. On campus I am involved with Sports Aptitude, the Dr. Nikitin lab, and the Scheinmann Institute. I am looking forward to meeting the Vietnamese cohort and researching important economic and labor related topics throughout Vietnam. I hope to apply the knowledge and skills that I have developed at Cornell for this experience.

Amalia S. ILR'24

Amalia is a sophomore at Cornell’s school of Industrial and Labor Relations from the city of Philadelphia. Majoring in industrial and labor relations with a minor in Spanish, Amalia aspires to work within the intersection of migration and education in the future.
Amalia has been involved with Cornell’s Latin American and Caribbean Studies Program, working with La Fundacion Futuro to teach English to young leaders of Ecuador. She has worked as an undergraduate teaching assistant for ILR’s Advocacy and Debate course and enjoys writing stories and learning new languages in her free time.
I am looking forward to learning more about Vietnam’s unique culture and labor relations. I am also grateful and excited for the opportunity to learn from our Vietnamese peers during this experience.

Anthony W. ILR'24

Hello, my name is Anthony W. I am currently a sophomore at the ILR School at Cornell University. I am originally from South Korea, but I moved to the United States, where I currently live in California. At Cornell, I am a part of Shimtah, a traditional Korean drumming club as well as the Global Affairs Club. Through this program, not only am I excited to learn about labor relations in Vietnam, I am also excited to meet the students at TDTU. Thank you!

Eric Y. ILR'24

My name is Eric Y, I am a sophomore transfer student in ILR from Poughkeepsie, New York. On campus I am a research analyst for the Undergraduate Labor Institute, and am a member of the Music Improvisation Ensemble. I have an interest in labor law and labor relations, and labor and commerce on an international scale. Some of my hobbies include music production and fashion.
I am looking forward to learning more about Vietnam due to its prominence as an agricultural producer and manufacturing hub. In addition, I want to broaden my knowledge of labor relations outside the United States and learn more about how labor operates across the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment